Digitizing vehicle registration and permitting processes for Nova Scotia Digital Services
Nova Scotia Digital Service (NSDS) engaged Barrington to develop a fully integrated, Online Dealer Service with the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) system to streamline the car, truck and motorcycle registration and permitting processes for motor vehicle dealers and recognized agencies such as rental car companies.
Barrington supported NSDS in designing and launching the ODS Digital solution which allows dealers to register and permit vehicles by completing the application online to provide better customer experience and more efficient processing.. Once a dealer submits a completed application, it is reviewed electronically before being committed in the RMV system. Funds are transferred using the province’s existing Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Payment solution.
The Barrington team delivered the initiative using an agile development methodology. The project was comprised of 2-weeks sprints allowing our team to be flexible in proposing different solutions to the challenges presented during the delivery journey. The clients were actively engaged in all the phases of the project – from initial planning through to design, development, testing, implementation and support. The team conducted bi-weekly sprint demos to review the progress and obtain broader feedback. The team developed early prototypes and consulted with end users to obtain feedback. A working prototype was taken through an additional round of usability testing prior to go-live.
The following objectives have been met since ODS went live:
- Improved access to services for motor vehicle dealers and recognized agencies, reducing paper intensive administrative costs.
- Upfront verification of purchaser eligibility to reduce business risk, reduce error rate, and reduce exceptions.
- Improved registration turnaround times for motor vehicle dealers and recognized agencies.
- Reduced in-person customer services (i.e.: accepting paperwork from dealers at an Access Centres) enabling redirected effort to other public services.
- Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services
- Digital services